Thursday, October 6, 2011

An insiders view

So being in education I was always telling parents , your child is much more capable than you give them credit for.  However being a parent we tend to coddle Reece. Maybe it is my way of holding on to the fleeting time as we watch him grow up so quickly.  I just want to hang on!
This statement never proved to be more correct.  I offered to volunteer in Reece's classroom this year.  I had my first opportunity on Tuesday.  I have to admit I was awfully nervous considering how things have been improving with our rocky transition.  I mostly just hoped that I would not interfere in what seems to be working for Reece.  I was amazed, on so many levels!  
I will begin by saying that a month ago we could hardly con Reece into doing any which involved writing what so ever.  This is something he has struggled with for the past year.  We were initially concerned it was a fine motor skill issue but had been reassured by multiple professionals that it was simply a penmanship issue.  Well kindergarten has brought about a different child.  He wants to practice writing his letters every day before we even leave for school.  It blows us away every morning!  He was no different in class.  After hanging up his things he immediately went over to "his morning work" and began writing!  
What has happened?!
I was even more shocked to witness a class of 22 kids sitting down and independently reading single word pages.  Each kid then paired up with a friend and read their story to their reading friend.  I had NO IDEA Reece was so capable.  
Not all that surprising, he was probably the most outgoing kid in his class.  This was so reassuring because I knew at that moment he is so comfortable.  To think that for the first two weeks of school we wondered if we selected the wrong school, he is amazing us everyday!  It is truly something to witness the growth and excitement about school from the eyes of a kindergartener!

No comments:

Post a Comment