Monday, August 11, 2014

A New Beginning

I have spent so much time wondering and thinking about what today would feel like.  It has been nine years since I have worked full time BUT I have never known the feeling of starting a career I have worked so hard to make happen.  Today is the day, my first day of school.  While I will spend the next three weeks in new teacher training and preparing my classroom, I cannot help but have a range of emotions.  While there is a ton of excitement, I would be lying if I didn't say it is bitter sweet also.  

In one of my interviews I was asked about my reflective practices.  I spoke about using reflection to help me grow and drive my teaching. I find that my best reflections come after having some time to let everything soak in.  Summer break 2014 has been much the same.  You see, while today I go back to school, both the boys have summer left.  This means that Reece will be going to camp and Graham to day care.  Our time together will become filled with the commonalities of working parents - coming home prepping for dinner, running small errands, and preparing for bed.
As I reflect I am asking myself did we make the most of every day together this summer?  I certainly know we didn't read the twenty five hours of our summer reading challenge, or work on our math workbook as often as we should have.  We didn't even manage to check off everything on our summer bucket list.  HOWEVER, we did manage to have a ton of fun, enjoy our lake, go on a lot of bike rides, stop often to get ice cream just because, and smile this big because we were enjoying our summer all together.  


With that said I am off to prepare for thirty five graders who I cannot wait to meet in a few short weeks.    I hope that our practices together have much of the same ending, smiling with contentment!

No comments:

Post a Comment