Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Our Girlie

Pressley 
April 15, 2002 - December 26, 2014


 I have struggled so much with the words to say which is probably why it has taken me almost three weeks to even begin to express our heartbreak.  Presley was the first member of our family.  I remember picking her up prior to marrying Gregg and it was at a time when I completely unsure of our future.  From that first moment she curled on my lap on our car ride home her gentle, kind, and loyal spirit became irreplaceable.  Sadly she is now "with Jesus" (Graham)


Pressley was the one constant in all the chaos of our growing home.  She had a true smile on our face ever time we returned home after the few times we had to leave her.  She never said no.  She knew when I was putting on my running clothes and she was ready.  She was at the door the minute we started to back a boat bag or heard Gregg pick up his keys at 5 am to head to the golf course.  She was the first one up to alert us that one of the boys was up in the middle of the night.  She helped us take out the garbage, she loved dropping the boys off at school, or just hang around as we did yard work, knowing exactly when we needed a break to throw her the tennis ball;)!


She loved to chase the tennis ball, or any squirrel within her sight ( she even caught one once and gently put it down as not to kill it)  She would stand on the edge of the greens and wait for Gregg as to not damage any soft turf.  She would be up in the back of the car before we could even tell her she could or couldn't come with us.  She waited for permission to jump up on the couch or the bed, all when knowing exactly when to nudge my hand to remind us that she had yet to be fed.  She loved nothing more than just to be with us!



After 13 years , we often spoke about that someday Pressley might no longer be here, but I never imagined what life would be like without her.  Pressley was never the dog who made her presence well know, yet at the same time was always there and made each memory that much sweeter with her loyalty.  
When we spoke to her, we just knew that she understood.  From the first moment I became so sick when pregnant with Graham, she never left my side.  All the while Pressley was making sure to never be in the way. She had no problem taking a back seat as we became parents to Reece and Graham, but was their first line of defense as she was being the protective big sister.


 Pressley loved the boys like I could have only wished and they loved her !  It really was a magical relationship to witness.  She was beyond special and we miss her tremendously!!



It is hard to imagine life without Pressley and sometimes I still feel like I am going to walk in the door to her greeting us!  So while we are on a new  bumpy path of dealing with explaining loss and grief to Graham and Reece, I hope that someday our tears will be replaced with smiles when we talk about her!  


 Until then, I cherish every picture I have which offers a small glimpse into her heart!
She sure was something remarkable and I feel so blessed that God blessed us with her for thirteen short years.
Thank you so much for teaching us the meaning of unconditional love Girlie, we will forever miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment