Monday, April 28, 2014

FINALLY!!!

 I did it!  This past weekend marked the end of a very long road of following my dream of becoming a teacher.  It has been a very emotional journey and I know that this post will hardly do it justice but I wanted to share some of the weekend highlights.


For the better part of ten years I knew I wanted to go back to school.  While I spent some time taking classes here and there, I remember the exact feeling of knowing it was really time to make my dream a reality.  When I walked into Oakland University almost three years ago, I had no idea the journey that lie ahead.  Gregg and I spent so many hours talking and trying to prepare for the reality that he would be the primary supporter, emotionally,  financially and an over all super Dad, as I embarked on this journey.  Little did I know how much support I would really need.


Having two children and trying to go to college full time in addition to Gregg taking a new job was not for the faint of heart.  There were many moments where people tried to convince me to take a semester off, take fewer classes, or just ease up the pace.  It was never an option for me.  I knew that God had given me a second chance and I needed to take it, head on.  All along I focused on April 26, 2014.  I knew sooner or later if I chugged along the day would come.  Well it certainly did and it was everything I imagined and hoped for.  When I walked in the arena to the Bagpipers playing I was overcome with emotion.  While this had been the moment I worked so hard for, I couldn't help but think about every person who helped me get to this point.  


Going back to college with a family brings a whole new dimension.  This second time I now had a family and especially two little men who were also dependent on me everyday.  Reece certainly knew that Mommy was going back to school to be a teacher but it doesn't change his homework, baseball practice, catechism, simply daily needs.  I now completely understand the saying it takes a village to raise a child.  I had a tremendous amount of support to help bring me to the OU arena stage.  So yes while I was feeling very proud and excited, I was and am also overwhelmed with thinking of the tremendous support I (we) have received the past three years.  


One of the speakers at graduation spoke about success being personal.  He said we all came here with our own stories and what this moment means to each of us.  I have yet to fully process it all, but as I recently said on an interview, I will spend the rest of my life teaching children the importance of education.  I do know that these past three years I was able to show Reece in particular what education means, the hard work and dedication it takes, and the meaning of preserving.  For now, that is my success!  

After graduation we celebrated with a luncheon at the country club with a close group of friends and family who have been pivotal in helping me reach this day.  








Afterward we head home for comfy clothes and a bonfire celebration.  It really was a magical day!



And now the job hunt begins....

No comments:

Post a Comment