Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Some adjustments

    So I would love to be that parent who says I dropped my child off at kindergarten and we are now full steam ahead, running into school everyday. Gosh I really would love that!  Our case hasn't been so easy.  Everyday is a challenge just to get Reece out of the house.  He wakes up and immediately begins with "my belly hurts today, really hurts today Mommy, I can't go to school"  He tries his best to delay until I have raised my voice enough that we are in the car in route to school.  At this point, I have such horrible anxiety at the fact of what has occurred before we even leave the house that my mind is racing with what can we talk about to distract the inevitable of drop off, how fun can I make the day sound, you get the idea I am sure!  Well then it comes to walking up to meet his "friends" and teacher.  I will begin with the positive, yesterday's drop off there were no tears and a few extra hugs (YEAH!!!!!) .  Otherwise there have only been tears all the way to full blow hysterics.
    So I have read other blogs online, talked with family, talked with other kindergarten teachers only to be told "Reece will adjust."  I have no doubt that he will.  I treasure picking up at the end of the day when he runs out of school with a smile on his face excited to tell me all about his day! (He seems so happy)  It is simply a HORRIBLE way to start a day.  My heart aches to walk away with him a complete basket case.  
    Of course as a teacher I reassure parents all the time, "I swear your child is happy the minute you leave".  In my heart I know this, but now experiencing it first hand my heart is breaking. I wake up every morning seriously praying that the "drop off" goes smoothly!  
So we are getting things down to a pretty tight routine, dinner at 5 pm , bedtime by 7 pm, although the past two nights have been 7:30( ugh).  As most everyone who knows us knows this IS A MAJOR ADJUSTMENT!!  Gregg says we are becoming "the all American family".  Who new that's all it would take, right? 
    Reece has always thrived off of routine and I guess why would he be any different now that he is 5 !?!  So it as much getting him back into a routine as training ourselves to follow a schedule again which doesn't allow our selfish flexibility.  (Hopefully we can get back to a little of that soon:))
    Tomorrow is a new day, our fingers are crossed for the possibility he may run up and say "Bye, Mommy see you soon!"
My final note: I have seriously contemplated my ability to be a kindergarten teacher!!  I have a whole new appreciation for OURS' especially!

No comments:

Post a Comment