Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Becoming a Big Brother

The first question people ask Reece is if he is ready to be a Big Brother?  Then they look to Gregg and I and ask if Reece is excited?
So I find myself reflecting...
It has been an extremely hot summer which has taken a huge toll on Gregg and I.  Let's be honest we are ready to sit and lie on the couch every night by 3 pm easy!  Gregg is out in the heat at the golf course starting at 6 am and well I am nine months pregnant and just plan exhausted.  I have been nervous since probably April as to how summer would go once Reece was out of school, Gregg working long hours, and I spent and very pregnant.  Well it has only been six weeks since school got out and while I have had my share of losing patience and needing quiet time on the couch come 3 pm, I must say the time with Reece has been amazing!   
I have really tried to make a conscience effort most days to try and do something special him and I.  We have played putt putt, we have been to the movies, we spent the day at the wave pool,  we all went to the county fair, and today we went to an indoor play scape just to name a few things.  When I am exhausted and want to sit down I force myself to get up and play a few games of "one shot" soccer, or catch.  While I don't know if Reece really comprehends how his life is going to change, I know that these special moments we have shared are something that he will remember forever.
While these have been such fun times, some of the moments I have treasured the most are when Reece comes into bed in the morning, cuddles up with me and we talk about all the things we want to do that day, when he comes up and hugs my belly and doesn't want to let go, or when we sit at lunch and talk about if we could be any animal in the world who would we want to be or what he wants to do when he grows up.   
Reece is such a busy kid, he has big plans for his brother or sister, but one of the greatest things I love about him is when I can get him to slow down and talk to me about the world big and small, he astonishes me.
So is he ready? while I certainly hope so but how does one really know.  He told me the other morning "I have had to wait for 6 years to be a big brother!'  I definitely think he is excited. 
One thing I know for certain about Reece is he will take on his new role head on and ensure that he "is doing the best (he) can"!  


Here is just a glimpse of some of the highlights:






No comments:

Post a Comment