Sunday, July 22, 2012

Graham's Birth Story

     It has been a whirlwind of three days filled with so many emotional ups and down but through it all we finally have everything we hoped for, Graham Edward.
     So as we entered last week I was ready , uncomfortable, and incredibly anxious to have this baby.  I hadn't slept well most nights but especially Saturday going into Sunday.  So Sunday morning we were having Tea at the Townsend to celebrate my Mom's birthday and a belated Mother's day.  I woke up with a headache and a lot of contractions.  However, I still went on hoping that by going to tea the day would pass quickly.  By days end I was at Botsford hospital because my blood pressure was very elevated. While I didn't think I was in labor I knew there was a chance that they could keep me because of my blood pressure.  Truth be told,  I was hoping that this would happen, as we were ready to finally meet this baby.  Well,  they sent me home.
     Monday came and I went to my regular weekly visit with Dr. Speier.  I again was hopefully for progress or at least an end date in sight.  Needless to say I left there in tears because all she told me was "you are my best OB patient right now".  My blood pressure was back to normal, my weight gain minimal, and my sugars were also great.  She told she was going out of town on Thursday July 26 and wouldn't be back until Aug. 4.  Because I was doing great she had no reason to schedule a c section prior to 39 weeks which was the day she was heading out of town.  So, the only option it left me was to an anmnio test on Monday July 23 in hopes that the baby's lungs would be mature and Dr. Spier could section me.  However,  it also left the possibility that would not be the case and then I would have to go into labor on my own and be delivered by another doctor.  So,  disappointment was an understatement.  While I know that the baby's health is my #1 priority it has been a very long road and quite honestly I was ready to have a baby in my arms.
     So fast forward to Thursday... I had a non stress test scheduled for 10 am because of the high bp.  She ordered up blood work and when she was leaving after another BP check said to me "if you leave today".  Panic began setting in, I was dying to reach Gregg.  At this point it it me I am sitting in labor and delivery completely alone and we have a problem, little did I know.  So someone comes in to draw my blood and within minutes the heart rate monitor is completely quiet.  In walks the nurse and asks me to roll on my side, still nothing but she is reassuring me things are okay.  A few minutes later two doctors walk in.  High blood pressure, panic, those are understatements.  I knew in my heart that the baby's heart rate stopped for what felt like forever.  But within a few minutes the baby's heart beat picked back up and was back to sounding great.  So the two doctors informed me they were going to call Speier and see what she wanted to do.  Someone got me a phone and I was able to call Gregg.  All I could get out to him was that he needed to get to the hospital immediately.
     Throughout this whole pregnancy Baby Matthews has been a fighter.  There have never been any issues with the baby, it has all been about my body and capacity.  Yet to think that now the baby was having an issue my heart was racing.
       Before I knew it IV's were being put in, I was admitted within minutes, I was swallowing down who knows what kinds of meds, compression socks were being put on, I was being fully prepped "just in case".  All I keep saying was I hope Gregg is going to make it.  With all we had been through in 38 weeks he has been the one to remain strong and pull me through, I needed him more than ever and I couldn't even reach him.  I was able to pull myself together enough to ask with a giggle "I don't even know what the date is today?"  Dr. Kaplan responded with " Its a great day to have a baby!"  This was it, everything we had been waiting for.  All the years and struggles to expand our family and here it was  Thursday July 19.  Right around 11:15 am I walked myself back to the OR and sat on the edge of the table waiting for a spinal to be administered but still no Gregg.  One of the nurses had my cell phone for pictures just in case.  Everyone in labor and delivery assured me he would be there and they would have him back with me immediately.  One of the doctors stood by my side the entire time, I hugged her while my spinal was administered, she wiped my mascara as I cried and she was constantly reassuring me that I was definitely not alone.  While I was so incredibly grateful for their love and support what I really wanted was my husband.
     As the prep for Baby Matthews continued I heard someone holler that "he is here", within a minute person after person came in and told me your husband is here.  OMG to grab his hand and have him lean down to give me a kiss , I knew at that moment everything was going to be okay, this is what we have been waiting for, now let's finally meet this baby.
     Within maybe ten to fifteen minutes after a lot of tugging, Dr. Speier told us we have a head, then " ITS A BOY!"  Gregg and I both instantly started crying and shared that amazing moment.  Gregg looked at me and said "Graham" "he looks just like Reece".  It wasn't long after that that I was able to look behind me and see our son.  He had so much hair.  Graham weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces and was 20.5 inches long.  To say he is perfect doesn't quite fit.  Graham is everything I had spent the last months dreaming about, thinking about, and wishing for.  He is a perfect combination or Gregg, Reece, myself and his own little man!  After his birth my OB informed us that not only did Graham have the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck but more dangerous was that he had a knot in his cord.  Clearly God was watching over us and Graham!  He truly is a blessing !!!

 One very proud Dad


Meeting Graham for the first time, up close


Graham Edward Matthews
July 19, 2012 born at 12:15 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment