Thursday, July 26, 2012

Graham is One Week Old!



Wow it is so hard to believe a week ago today Graham came into our lives.  Waiting on him seemed like everyday moved so slow and now that he is here the days are flying by!  

Weight: Graham left the hospital weighing 6 lbs 3 ozs.  The following day we at the doctor and he weighed 6 lbs 2 oz.  The pediatrician was concerned as we were also in the hospital because Graham had lost over 10% of his weight since birth.  So his doctor told me to start supplementing after each feeding, which I had been pumping in the hospital,  and to make sure he was eating every two to three hours.  We returned for a weight check yesterday , July 25, and Graham gained an ounce in a half, he now weighs 6 lbs 3.5 ozs.  Who knew we could be so excited about an ounce and half!!

Health:  Well Graham was not discharged with me because he became very jaundice.  Needless to say we quickly learned a lot about jaundice and while it was an extremely emotional 24 + hours we knew that he was being well taken care of.  Come to find out Graham and I have different blood types, as well as being born 2.5 weeks early , he was prime for jaundice.  The pediatricians at the hospital said over 70% of babies have jaundice but much fewer have to have light therapy.  So after numerous blood tests Graham's billyruben numbers continued to elevate enough that he was going to need light therapy. This was the reason he was not discharged.  Holy cow the range of emotions, I never anticipated anything like this.  Graham had to remain under the lights with his eyes covered and nothing but his diaper.  We were not able to hold him or take him out except for his feeding and those could not exceed 20 minutes.  Hello hormones, telling a new mom I can't hold my baby!  Lucky they allowed us to stay for one night because Graham is exclusively breastfeed.  He was under the lights for about 12 hours then tested and because of his levels he was taken off.  Sitting on pins and needles we had to wait to make sure his levels didn't elevate back up after 8 hours of being off the lights.  A little over 24 hours after my discharge , the doctor came in to tell us Graham was going home.  We couldn't be more ecstatic!!  Since being home he has been to the doctor twice, other than trying to get his weight up and still slightly elevated jaundice levels ( nothing worrisome though), Graham is health and doing great!


Sleep:  Graham pretty much sleeps non stop except for his feeding.  The past two nights he has also decided that 4 am is a great time to coo and be adorable.  While Gregg and I are both tired neither of us want to put him down especially when he is awake!

Clothes:  Well he has very few, that fit him that is.  He is swimming in newborn sizes.  Honestly since we have been spending a lot of time at home he is usually just naked which I cannot get enough of.  Just like Reece, he is such a hair little guy so when he is naked I get to soak in all the darling little creases, dimples, and hairs all over him!

Visitors:  We have had a few visitors come by.  Graham was able to meet almost my whole side of the family in the hospital.  Also my best friend Brittany, Rachel and a few of the neighbors have come by.  We have loved showing him off to people and celebrating especially because the first few days of Graham's life were filled many scary moments.  As I was telling my mom, Nana, we have waited such a long time for this, we really just want to celebrate Graham and enjoy every moment with our friends and family.  
Graham getting some love from his Auntie Leah and cousin Aly

Diet: I am nursing so milk, milk, and milk.  Fingers crossed, we know that Graham can take a bottle quite well already because I have been having to supplement after his feeding.  ( This was something I swore I would not let happen again after Reece wouldn't take a bottle, EVER)

Baby Gear:  Something which we cannot live without is the IPhone application Baby Connect.  It is an easy way to record everything from his diaper changes, feeding - how much he ate, which side, act, even when I last took my pain medication, or doctors appointments.  Definitely a must considering our lack of sleep and baby brain!
Something else which Graham is loving is the Nap Nanny.  While they say baby's are not suppose to sleep in them, at 4 am in the morning and none of us have sleep, Graham goes in the Nap Nanny and is perfectly content. 
Finally the Aden and Anais swaddle blankets.  I didn't understand all the fuss about them until now having a newborn.  Definitely a must!  In one week I have used to cover while nursing, a car seat cover, a swaddle, and even to change his diaper on until our changing pad cover arrives.

Milestones:  First and foremost bringing Graham home from the hospital.  It is so nice to all finally be a family.  We were also excited to introduce him to Presley and just as we would have expected Graham got a full licking and now has a shadow in the form of a yellow lab!  Graham had his first and second doctors appointment this week.  Finally, Graham arrived just in time to help celebrate his big brother birthday.  As Reece told us "  God planned it so Graham turned 6 days old on my 6'th birthday!"

Leaving the hospital on a very hot 100 degree day!


Home Sweet Home!

One very proud Big Brother with Graham on his first night home


Presley doesn't take her eyes off of him


Postpartum: Overall I feel really good although find myself most sore by the end of the day.  Also my ankles are swollen to cankels for sure!  While the nurses at the hospital said this is rather normal, I was not swoolen in my ankles during pregnancy nor did I experience anything like this with Reece.  I am ready to see my ankle bone again!
Something I am struggling with are clothes to wear for nursing.  I am just not up for putting my maternity clothes back on and while some of my regular clothes fit, the nursing thing throws a wrench in on what I can wear out in public.  I am thinking I need to stock up on sundresses or tanks/ shirts which pull per easily.

So while we have only been home for three days , this week has been amazing for so many reasons.  I was an emotional mess while I was pregnant and now to finally meet this little being, it was all worth it.  Graham is nothing short of amazing.  I have loved every minute of getting to know him.  I am sure it is going to take some time to all sink in but I can't wait for every moment.  I guess it is only natural to have expectations of how things would go with Reece and I have to say it is nothing like I expected.  I knew Reece would be excited but I never though he would be so engaged with Graham.  He always wants to talk with him, see him, know where he is, or just touch him.  Then there is Gregg.  I certainly could not be doing this alone.  Since we got home Gregg has been so supportive.  He wakes up every feeding or fuss Graham has.  He has been home with us most of the week which has been awesome or takes Reece outside for a quick soccer game while I have my hands full!  It makes me fall in love with him all over again watching him as a dad.  I am certain there will be many challenges ahead of us but for the moment I am trying to soak it all in and enjoy every moment even at 4 am!

1 comment:

  1. Cal had to stay to get a suntan too. Glad to hear Graham is doing well!

    ReplyDelete