Thursday, August 23, 2012

5 weeks


 Reece picked out Grahams outfit today!


So to be completely honest we are flying by the seat of our pants at this point.  I would love to say that after 5 weeks we are starting to figure things out but truth be told we have no idea.  I promised myself many things this time around, one of the biggest things was going to be to enjoy each moment, not hoping for the when's.  While we have done a relatively good job with that, I have to admit life is also taking shape into the when of Reece going back to school and Gregg's schedule slowing down.
It has been an absolutely crazy and intense five weeks.  I am hoping that things will begin to take shape and slow down a bit ( I can wish right,  oh yeh I am enjoying the moment!)  So all that said much has happened since Graham turned a month old on Sunday....




Weight - We had our one month appointment on Monday August 20, our little man is packing on the pounds and now weighs 8 pounds 11 ounces.  Reece and I both guessed much less.  ( We play a little guessing game every doctors appointment since we have become such regulars.)  The doctors are very pleased with his weight gain.  He is also now up to 21 inches long.

Clothes - Graham is still in newborn size clothes but has moved to size 1 diapers.  I am also now able to put him in gowns for bedtime every night.  Not only does he seem cozy in them but they make for such easy diaper changes in the middle of the night.

Sleep - Graham is all over the board.  I am overjoyed to say he slept for one five hour stretch but then the next night was awake every hour and forty five minutes to two hours.  We chickened out having him sleep in his bed but I am going to try again on Monday.  Also we are now trying to start a nighttime routine with Graham which includes a bath, massage, and book.  We are hoping a consistent routine will help him in consistently sleeping better.  Our fingers are crossed!!!

(We of course only let him sleep on his belly when we are right him)



Diet - Well we are on day 4 of dairy free for mom.  So far Graham seems to be doing better.  The pediatrician said that it will take five to seven days for dairy to be completely out of my system.  So while he still seems to occasionally have some uncomfortableness, he is much better. We have been giving him Gripe Water in the few instances where he struggling.  That staff is awesome!!
 In addition, I am feeling more positive about nursing and my abilities that I not the sole cause of Graham's unhappiness as I had a great conversation with the lactation consultant from the hospital where we delivered.  She gave me some different strategies and new techniques to try, all of which seem to be helping.  The saying "things happen for a reason" has proved true again for me when I had a few moments to myself to catch up on my favorite guilty pleasure, People Magazine.  I read a few articles by nursing moms which inspired me to hang in there and embrace the joys of nursing.  Honestly I am feeling so much better and inspired to push through and figure it out, Graham and I.

Reece is helping Graham work on his soccer kick!

Likes - While we knew that Graham loved to cuddle on our chest or be held, we also found this week that he does really well on his belly on the Boppy.  He almost immediately becomes content. Graham loves to have his hands in his mouth.  It wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a thumb sucker!   A friend of mine also lent me her sling which Graham has really taken to.  I feel like I am finally able to get a few things done.  Now just to figure out a way to manage a shower!  


The sling seems to be a great solution to Graham being held close but allows me to accomplish a few things each day!


Vistors - Today Gregg's family is coming into town from New York and Massachusetts.  We have not seen them in a year in half so excited in an understatement.  Reece is counting down the hours until they arrive.  It will be great to reconnect and also introduce them to Graham.  

We are having Graham baptized on Sunday so I'll be sure to update with his special day!





No comments:

Post a Comment